Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lent 2008

Made an unsettled start to this year's Lenten season due to Chinese New Year and returning home since moving to Taiwan.

We're into week 2 of Lent and I haven't even decided what personal sacrifice to do this year. As I explained to a colleague, it is not about losing weight or self-improvement nor deliberate suffering. It is about a step towards our faith, remembering my faith amidst the day-to-day living in a very secular world. Not about own efforts cos really without His Grace, our effort rarely amounts to anything.

- I hope to pray the rosary daily. Thanks to Sister Lily, I ripped the rosary onto my iPOD.
- and more difficult, to be more tolerant in the office place. Folks here are so political and I was starting to allow the resentment to eat into me until last Sat's Gospel Mt 5:43-48.
Jesus said to his disciples:“You have heard that it was said,You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.But I say to you, love your enemies,and pray for those who persecute you,that you may be children of your heavenly Father,for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good,and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have?Do not the tax collectors do the same?And if you greet your brothers and sisters only,what is unusual about that?Do not the pagans do the same?So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

A tough call ain't it?

No comments: