Monday, December 04, 2006

Bring CaFE to Miri, Sarawak 1-4 Dec

In my usual fashion, I had to want to do everything and was so busy right up to the last moments before leaving for Miri. Meeting time was 8.30am at Novena Church, but I HAD to stay longer on the Procurement update, HAD to send out a few last emails on SCV. At 8.30am before leaving for Sarawak, I was already exhausted. Didn't help we flew el cheapo Air Asia thru Senai, JB to Miri, Sarawak. By the time we arrived at Miri, it was evening.

Thankfully I had really low/zero expectations, cos our rooms at the Kingwood Inn is absolutely dismal - it was disgusting actually. Barely tolerable.

But everything else went so smooth, it was truly God in action.

My first thoughts - sitting here after my 1st good clean shower in days.
- the great enthusiasm for CaFE just blows my mind. From the youths of Brunei (I love them!), the Kuching team, the Ipoh team, 1 incredibly brave Felicity intending to start CaFE singlehanded in very very Islamic (PAS run) Trengganu. I salute them all. If put in their shoes, I would not have stood up as valiantly as them.

- how God loves me. He knew what I struggled with. And He provides over and above. From the overwhelming hospitality of our Miri hosts - we feasted (and this is an understatement) on every meal from the moment we arrive, right until the last moment of leaving for the airport.

- That Singaporeans take our blessings for granted. Our religious freedom, having 30 churches with numerous Sunday masses, our beautiful & very comfortable airconditioned churches, our creature comforts, our high quality of life - I never thanked God for all these. Until I realised what my new friends in Brunei, Sarawak, Ipoh, Kuching, Trengganu don't have.


Picture of the Cathedral in Miri, Sarawak. It is so spartan - really old wooden pews (I had some bird poo on my right knee after mass, eee), bare concrete floors.

- That I can be such a whiner. When did I grew so selfish and spoilt? I am so good at whining to God and to anybody within earshot what I lack & exactly what I want. Not being thankful for my blessings is 1 thing, but I can imagine what a pain in the a** Gwen must feel!

- I'm a little tired from the physical exertions of travel to think about my spirituality. I owe Gwen that as homework. Need to pray and feel about that.

Do I regret missing the Standard Chartered Marathon this weekend? NO.

No comments: