Monday, December 25, 2006

My 2006

In my typical David Letterman top 10 (ish) style.

What I achieved in 2006
  1. survived breaking up with Hon. For the longest time I didn't think I would make it. At every turn, I'd imagine he'd call me & we'll reconcile somehow - after all we had broken up and made up numerous times over the 4 years of being together. In 2006, I survived alone - 1 new year, 1 chinese new year, 1 valentines, 1 birthday, 1 christmas. It was, is still, painfully lonely.
  2. keeping my sanity with mom. My mom drives me nuts - she wins hands down the award for "most immature, negative & sarcastic mom". In early 2006, I really wanted to move out. But I also knew that she would not be able to live alone. It was such a difficult decision to stay. Thankfully my brothers understand (empathy is easier when you've successfully moved out) & made attempts to ease things off me, e.g. take her out for dinner whenever they could. The battle continues as sadly I see no way out. Life with mom-bitch carries on...
  3. struggling through a very vulnerable faith. In spite of my struggles, God has been great this year. Giving me blessing after blessing in the most obvious way that I cannot but stop and give Him thanks.
  4. learning to not regret my decisions. I got a few opportunities for a do-over. E.g. Choon Yee re-entering my life. He's still has this thing for me - probably since when we first met in 1997. And as I couldn't when I told him so in 1998, I still can't imagine being with him. I can't understand it - the man's rich, successful, sweet and loves me! Groan.
  5. seeing the world. In 2006, I made 1 trip every month - either a work trip, dive trip - mustered 4 dive trips including diving Manado, weekend getaways mostly to KL to climb and, the highest point - going to Miri to share CaFE.
  6. visiting and climbing the Great Wall of China.
  7. being patient with people. Learning to accept/appreciate different people for what they are. Francis will live in his own world and no amount of nagging will move him off his procrastination. He will move when he's ready. Helen will continue to be Helen - losing your cool with her doesn't help matters, just cover her mistakes and move on.
  8. trusting God. Kuan and Teresa are desperate to be in a relationship, every time I have dinner with them, I end up feeling all panicky that I'm 36 and single. I try to avoid dinners with them now. While I can appreciate the ticking time clock, found myself finding kids cute! *horrors* Instead I will take this to God, that He will provide in His time according to His will.
  9. driving in the US. My last trip was THE trip I will try to drive. Eve had everything booked for me. I even had a printed map of how to drive from the airport to the Homewood Suites. It was dangerous - returning the car was the right decision. I was looking at the rear view mirror in the wrong place, I couldn't even keep my car in my lane.
  10. buying my own place. TOP Dec 2008. I can't wait.

What I need to work harder on... (2007 goal target)

  1. focus on relationships with people. I will one day succeed in being kinder and gentler - esp with the people I don't like.
  2. Discipline. Discipline. Discipline.
  3. stop gossiping. If I can whinge without getting personal...
  4. work on my faith. I pray that God will continue to close to me.
  5. 2007 will be a year of uncertainty. The job in Taiwan is still up in the air. I need to keep trusting in God.
  6. open. Be open to new things, new events, new way of doing things. Stop being a stick-in-the-mud.
  7. be a friend to all.
  8. work less. Stop working beyond 6pm every day.
  9. sign up for musical keyboard lessons. Something I've said since 1996 - Yamaha I must!
  10. drive myself in the US.

No comments: