Sunday, March 04, 2007

Another biz trip...

I've been in HP for 7 years now and never traveled as much as I did last year. Initially it was great and I guess I do enjoy seeing new places and experiencing different cultures, but when the trips are too often and too close together, it does get physically tiring and places tremendous stress on the body.

My colleague Steph schedules her trips inclusive of recreational trips back to back to the point she was sick for weeks. The gal's just got too much 'get up and go' attitude, very admirable for a lazy procrasinator like me.

This year, I visited Korea for my first time for an AP PR launch. Other than it being f#$ing cold in Jan, I had a great time.

Work wise - it was the worse trip of my life (2 demo PCs died after being manhandled by the hotel staff ; cables went missing ; we had to switch to static instead of live displays for our Product Showcase)...

But personally, I enjoyed the rest of it - had extended an extra day to see a little of Seoul with Steph. We visited temples, went shopping, took the Seoul subway, ate Korean BBQ and ginseng chicken, found ourselves insulted by insensitive Korean salespeople who estimated me to be a size L... Steph incidentally makes a great traveling companion. She's amiable, game for anything, and has a great sense of humour.

The highlight was visiting the DMZ, Steph wanted to see the "meeting room" where N & S Korea signed the ceasefire treaty. The correct name is the Joint Security Area. While the half day tour was very educational. I also found out that Steph had absolutely no concept of war.

Just booked another biz trip - Taiwan in mid Apr for the quarterly monitor review.

No comments: