Monday, May 14, 2007

1st Dive Trip 2007

Went diving over weekend with YeanYean and her friends.

It was great cos I had a brief respite from the chilly atmosphere at home and also I didn't have to pretend over Mother's Day.

We went to Tioman. Was organised by a friend of Yean's, so it was overall cheaper and we also slept on terra cotta, albeit a sleezy, yicky budget hotel in Mersing. But beats sleeping on a rocking boat.

Mostly seasoned divers with cameras so the diving was leisurely and they were great at spotting macro stuff. After a while though, I was bored of drift diving and staring at yet another nudibranch. Tioman is still good diving despite the sheer no. of divers there.

The highlight was the 2nd day when Irene spotted a shark in a cave, when I finned over, there were 3 guys lying on the seabed staring into a cave. As I approached, Irene signalled shark, I squeezed beside the guys and stared into nothing - just blackness. Then I saw a fin, it was big, then the side of a shark, then the whole shark appeared maybe 10cm in front of my face - so close I saw razor sharp teeth! The nurse shark is at least 5 feet. TS said it was trying to escape from us, but I think it was trying to remind us that it's a shark, with teeth fully capable of eating one of us! Anyways, I screamed so loud that everyone was laughing at me once safely up on the boat.

Great weekend!

No comments: