Monday, June 09, 2008

I climbed my 1st mountain in Taiwan!

Elephant Mountain

Part of the Song shan mountain range just beyond my house. I've been wanting to walk up this trail forever, well, ever since I moved to Taiwan.

I didn't realise how we're totally surrounded by mountains very close by until last week while at Computex's private meetings at the Hyatt Hotel, I saw up from the 14 storey a bird's eye view of the 101 and surrounding area.

Glad Vincent was game to try hiking this trail.

The views of the 101 presents itself almost immediately after you start the initial ascent - which is mostly steep steps. It levels off after a while and as you continue to walk up, the air turns cooler, it gets quieter as you leave the roar of traffic behind.. until you eventually don't hear anything but birds and insects chirping.

We saw a squirrel/chipmunk (how do you identify one from the other?), played with us for a bit before it jumped into the bush.

More pix - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8062670@N07/sets/72157605517070220/

So nice to retreat to nature during weekends. Keeps one sane. All your Singaporeans living in your garden city - you don't know what you have til you don't have it. Sigh.

To get to the trail head of Elephant Mountain, nearest MRT station Yongchun, exit 4. Walk towards Songshan Road. Turn right and walk to the end of Songshan Road. There'll be signs guiding you to the steps that start the trail. Another alternative is from Xinyi Road, Zhongqiang Park.

4 comments:

foodie said...

Glad you suggested the hike. Weather wasn't perfect but it worked out. And who wanted to take a cab to to the trail? LOL

Anonymous said...

Squirrel and chipmunk both like nuts, but chipmunk also like to sing, play guitar, talk very fast in a helium-pitch...

Felicia said...

I wanted to sleep in at first, then wanted to take a cab to trailhead, yes, me... I own up!

And Francis, thanks ah.. when are you coming?!!

foodie said...

Ah...so now I know why I heard some singing. For some reason I thought it was felicia