Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year Resolutions

Today is December 30. I am sitting in a half-empty office, 0 emails in my inbox and pretty much bored out of my mind. Why aren't I on leave? It's rainy outside, and besides really I have nowhere to go... Which doesn't quite sound like me - I always have a plan/a thing to do/a place to check out right? Well...

Ecclesiastes Chapter 1:2
Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth, vanity of vanities! All things are vanity!
What profit has man from all the labor which he toils at under the sun?
One generation passes and another comes, but the world forever stays. The sun rises and the sun goes down; then it presses on to the place where it rises. Blowing now toward the south, then toward the north, the wind turns again and again, resuming its rounds. All rivers go to the sea, yet never does the sea become full.
To the place where they go, the rivers keep on going. What has been, that will be; what has been done, that will be done.
Nothing is new under the sun.
I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind.


Reading from yesterday - the 5th Octave of Christmas. 1 John Chapter 2:9
Whoever says he is in the light,yet hates his brother, is still in the darkness.
Whoever loves his brother remains in the light,and there is nothing in him to cause a fall.
Whoever hates his brother is in darkness;
he walks in darkness and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

This year in 2008, I was ambitious and had my sights on a lot : explore Taiwan, work at my new job, make new friends etc. But somewhere down the line, things somehow got so out of control. Felt like chasing a wind, the harder I tried to wrest control, the worse things became. And it all is really very simple - it's all about love. As John said it - if you love your brother, you walk in the light, and there nothing to cause a fall.

I know I always say I don't regret, but I do. In relationships with a few people e.g. squealing on Sharon to the boss, losing patience with Kuansie... On reflection, if I used a heart of love, would I have done things differently? And what do you do in the aftermath?

I think I've said this before years ago, that relationships will be my downfall. And it remains my biggest cross. So my 2009 new year resolution will be very very short, just 2 actually,
1. learning to truly love
2. discipline (with faith and with myself).