Monday, August 03, 2009

Losing Father Renckens

Mom told me about Father Rencken's passing last week. To the end, he was praying to be healed and discharged from hospital because he wanted to finish planning some trip. And that is Fr Renckens - Mr Efficiency to a fault.

This morning's reading about Jesus feeling sad on hearing the news about John the Baptist's death.. made me think about Father Renckens.

I remember the first time I met him was at my Pa's wake. Pa had just passed away, we were still in shock, I recall seeing this very tall man with a strange accent show up day 1 of Pa's wake. I remember he stayed with us until Pa's body arrived from the embalmers. Not long after, mom took all 3 of us to Blessed Sacrament church where Fr Reckens was parish priest, and signed us up for cathecism classes. It took a further half year before I understood Fr Rencken's accent completely ;)

I realize he was always there. Cathecism classes, baptism, confirmation and much later, theology classes. I can still see him (in my mind) walking his dog on a long raffia string. Incidentally, his dog doesn't have have the most pleasant of dispositions, he barks and then bites you.

I will miss you Father Renckens. Blessed Sacrament will not feel the same without you around.

Singapore also lost Father Tom O'Neil from St Ignatius church. 2 priests overnight, I would imagine our priest to congregation ratio must take a big hit.

Let's keep their souls in prayers.

http://www.catholicnews.sg/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3063:father-renckens-a-father-tom-oneill-called-home-to-the-lord&catid=184:information

No comments: