Thursday, July 07, 2011

Symphony of gears whirling

The cards were for a slow ride yesterday.
  1. Invited 2 newbies : my cousin (who just bought a new Scott road bike but fearfully riding alone along Clementi PCN to build up confidence and skill with the cleats) & Jasmin, my colleague. But both declined me last minute.
  2. Climbed too much Tuesday night.  I did perhaps 7 (relatively easy) climbs but still, 7!  Egged on by Jo - she was on fire!  
  3. Still sleep deprived from last week - so bad I overshot my ECP exit (always a first time!) and had to turn around just before Changi airport. 
  4. Hectic!  Need to rush home.  Need to pick up Speedy from Rodalink.  Get to East Coast by 7:30pm.
  5. Very strong headwind.  Conversation as we cycled along the PCN leading to Coastal Road needed to be held at a shout to be heard!
Then,
- Traffic was not too bad, made it home early enough, wanted to pick Zi up, but she MIA.
- To Rodalink.  I left Speedy there since Sunday evening to oil the sticky gears - the left side gear was permanently stuck to the bigger gear and I need the smaller gear for hills!
- Got to East Coast 7:30pm on the dot - despite my missing the turn.

How it become my fastest ride :
The ride started out smooth - we were bunched up to shield each other from the wind, so it was really nice.  I tried moving to the front and with just the lead cyclist blocking me, the wind was pretty bad -  dropped back down to the middle pack.  At Shell, we first noticed Anne.  She was bitching about how she was cycling alone, unhappy that her group's missing.  Simon went over to talk to her and she joined us from there on.  The return was fast.  At some point, I found myself leading & pulling the group at 34km all the way from one of the traffic lights along Loyang until almost Coastal Road.  After I faltered, Peter gamely took over.  But he too was tired & something's wrong with his gears, it was ticking loudly. The calvary came up : Paul, Bryan, Isaac, Kah Hoe, Simon and Anne.  We bunched up again.  Nice.  Nearer to the fire station, we met Grayson!  He intersected through the group to friendly greetings, then fired off.  Splintering the group.  I got dropped.  Holding 33-35km, I was dropped.  Kah Hoe, Anne, Isaac and I tried but failed to chase the leading pack - later I found out Paul hit 53.8, Bryan 51km!   Back at F2 carpark, Anne and I exchanged FB accounts - she's 1 cool cyclist!  She's apparently a friend of Simon's friend.  And she did start off with our group from the start!  Guess she somehow followed a wrong group mistakenly cos it was a pretty crowded night last night along the Coastal Road.

Either due to headwind or the crazy speeds, there was no conversation even though we cycled bunched up (2 or 3 abreast).  All I hear is the whirling of our bicycle chains roaring away.... sheer music!

I didn't expect to be able to go so fast consistently.  Think Speedy was nervous cos I had no time to pick him up - he slept 3 nights in the shop.  The longest time he spent away from home.  Decided he'll prove himself a fast bike to me.  Haha!