Monday, March 04, 2013

The North Face City Run

Kids, do not try this at home.  After a nasty bout of stomach flu, I ran a marathon.  Other than cramps on my left foot - probably from an electrolyte imbalance from the excessive diarrhea-ing and an overall lethargy that had my running really slowly, I managed to slowly claw my way to the end.  At 1 point, we realize we were coming very close to the cut off time of 8.5 hours and I contemplated quitting to free the team to run faster.  We all held on in the end to finish the race half an hour before the cut off time.

The race was pretty fun, you self-navigate and so I got to see a lot of Singapore that I otherwise would not get to experience.  For the first time in my life, I had to run underneath an expressway (AYE).   We were joking if one day we decide to be grey importers, we know exactly where to stash our goods.  The route also involved running through the old Malaysian railway tracks, now called the green corridor by the National Parks who has taken over and done a great job in transforming the ugly railroad tracks to a nice strip of park land.

The only downside was HY pulling a back muscle very early in the run, just after checkpoint 1.  But then again, we were also able to pick up the pace a little after that. 
Photos on Facebook

We finished 49 out of 61 teams (well 65 teams if you add the 4 teams that DNF), clocking 44km in 7:43mins.  Absolutely herculean effort considering the circumstances.  Now I will rest a little.  No more races for a while.  No more 5am wake up to run Sunday mornings.  

No comments: