Monday, September 17, 2007

Another Touristy Wknd

I've been here 7 weeks and still feel like a tourist. Guess it doesn't help that I am a tourist every weekend.

Saturday - slept in then went out to the top of Yangmingshan to this classy restaurant for dinner. Like gazebos/marquees built into the mountainside facing Taipei city. Pity it wasn't a clear day - barely making out Taipei 101. We were celebrating Sharon's birthday - naturally we overeat then went to Roxy99 and overdranked on vodkas then tequilas. I drank little - wasn't me who got drunk :)


Me with the birthday girl. Yes, in case it doesn't show, we got pretty wasted...





Sunday - after church, checked out the outdoors shop along Chungshan North, need a chalk ball (not that I climb a lot, like twice since I got here) but they were closed on Sundays. Then walked around the nearby Peace Park where most of the political rallies are held. Inside the peace park is a monument commemorating the 228 incident - an uprising in Taiwan of the then locals vs the Nationalist soldiers that settled in Taiwan during the war. The same scism continues til today - bet local Taiwanese and the descendants of Nationalist soldiers - pretty much situation between DPP & KMT. More colorful history to come during next year's elections. Boy, am I glad I'm here to watch 1st hand.









(L-R) 228 Peace Monument, Statue, Old gates

This horse actually reminds me of a friend. Horse (it's an inside joke) but also cos of the spirit & vigour within it, u can see the veins popping on its neck.

This is dedicated to Ms Hardcore!

Just outside the Peace Park, along Ketagalan Boulevard, if you look straight to the end, tadah!.. the Presidential Building & in front of it, the East Gates (also called Jingfu Gate 景福门). One of 4 ancient gates to the city.

(L-R) Presidential building with the UN referandum posters ; Jingfu men in the intersection of Xinyi, Zhongshan, Ketagalan & Renai.

Enough history & culture and I was hungry - called Garin out for lunch.. the guy is such a sleepyhead.. Once he was conscious, he took me to this cool secret restaurant called People's restaurant. Nondescript stairs, secret bronze doors, magic way of opening it...


Interior decor is very very cool, I tried to take pix, but it was too dark...






Then we went to ride the Miramar Ferris Wheel (美麗華摩天輪) - cool! But too short a ride! Built into the side of the Miramar movie theatres.

Unfortunately it was drizzling while we were there, the doors to the cable car were wet, there were windows but they were covered with nettings.. these were the best I could do under the circumstances. But believe you me, the view from the top was spectacular.

No comments: