Monday, November 12, 2007

Taroko Gorge 太魯閣

I wanted to visit since I got to Taiwan - the Taroko Gorge certainly lived up to expectations, it was really beautiful.
Formed 1st by ancient limestone which metamorphosed into marble over millions of years, some seventy million years ago the rock strata under the sea were forced up to form mountains, including the Taiwan Mountain Ranges - exposing the horizontal marble strata, eventually creating the vertical valleys of the Taroko Gorge. -- taken from the Taroko Gorge govt website.

It was a great trip, we stayed in Hualien in a homestay - it shall remain nameless as I don't want to plug for it. It was new and nice - but the owner tried to fleece us while we were there. So, I would not recommend going back to stay there.










Day 1
- Arrived Hualien 10.20am.
- Brunch of Bian-shi noodles - it was good!
- Bulowan
- Tunnel of 9 Turns
- Tiansiang
- Eternal Spring Shrine
- Dinner in a Hualien restaurant - including 3layer pork. Good!
- Hualien night market. Garin outshot me at archery, shooting and ball throwing. It sucks!
Day 2
- Road trip down the East Coast with views of the Pacific Ocean
- Baci Viewpoint
- Jici Beach
- Lunch at Guanfu village
- back to trainstation and home.
I had a great wknd at the Gorge, the slimey owner of the minshu fleecing us was the only thing that marred an otherwise fantastic wknd. Again I ate lots, laughed lots and got a good break away from Taipei.
Will be back - this time might be easier to stay in Tiansiang and be closer to the hikes - I want to do at least 1 good one - like the Baiyang hike.
Taroko Gorge - I'll be back!

No comments: