Thursday, January 10, 2008

Almost Roadkill

I had gotten used to having my iPOD plugged in all the time, to drown out the sounds of Taipei (traffic, the chimes of the dustbin trucks, scooters bleating away, loudhailer mounted on vans traveling around coaxing Taipei citizens to vote in this Saturday's legislative elections)...

This is such a noisy city.

Went out running yesterday and enroute to SYS Hall, I was hit by a scooter. Waited at a pedestrian crossing, when the green man appeared, I re-started my stop watch, stepped off the pavement and WHAMMO!

I was so shocked - of cos I couldn't hear him coming with with my iPOD plugged in. Took all of 2 secs to recover enough to scream 'GREEN MAN, YOU Axxxx!'.

That was when I realised everyone else on that pedestrian crossing was staring at me like some alien.

Amazingly, my guardian angel took the impact, except for 2 grease stains on my left forearm where scooter met flesh, nothing, no bruise, nothing. It was just so amazing considering the loud crash when he hit me.

Some lessons
1. God's divine protection works all the time, even when you aren't aware of it
2. don't jog on streets with music plugged in, you need to know if there's a kamikaze scooter aiming for u
3. i gotta learn to scream in Chinese here. Nobody knew what the @#$ I said. ;)

My new jogging grounds - 10mins to get there, 5mins to do an outer loop (within the trees). In Chinese, this place is called 國父紀念館 - and yes, I know, that doesn't even translate to SunYatSen.. Sigh. That's another story in itself - how Taiwan gets real complicated for those who can't speak Chinese.

3 comments:

Bulesky said...

God bless you. Hope you always can notice the dangerous scooter driver when you use your iPod. Don't forget call me when you are running. I also want to lose weight.........

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely not localized yet. Seem like have to continue to pray very hard for you. BE CAREFUL, Fel. Learn to be alert, not about how to swear in hokkian. francis see.

Zi said...

im just laughing at e cursing part.. can't believe u really screamed out loud!

never doubted God's divine protection over u, u need it in abundance!!