Monday, March 10, 2008

Beware the Ides of March

I need a holiday...

The PH level in the office is getting to me... People here are way to acidic for me.

I wonder if it's because it's predominately a pre-merger Compaq organisation. A lot of folks here are long time Compaq employees, some have worked for Compaq all their lives. So this organisation is very very Compaq, with Compaq processes and with long serving Compaq employees. In fact, many still talk about Compaq like it's who they still work for. Truth is, HP bought Compaq - Compaq as a company should be defunct. But the Compaq culture remains strong. And its a very different culture from HP. It is more individualistic, aggressive work culture - almost bothering on hostility.

Or is it cos I am dealing with Texans. The cowboy 'fight-em-all', 'shoot-em-up', 'draw!' mentality is so ingrained that everything's a fight with them. There's verbals fights, there's email fights, there's conference call fights, there's face-to-face fights... At the end of a fight, when my colleagues sit back and say with pride and contentment - 'oh that was a good fight'...
This is way too unprofessional for me.

Or perhaps this is a personal Lenten challenge : remain positive, be a change catalyst.

Or, give up & find a new job, or perhaps return to cPC.

Beware the Ides of March, beware the devils within us all.

No comments: