Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sporting exploits in winter

In my earlier exploits, I have discovered that going up a mountain in a scooter over winter can be bone-numbingly cold. Next discovery was scuba-diving in winter. Which was freezing despite my new 5mm wetsuit plus gore-tex jacket to block the wind after you surface.

Today I would like to add a new lesson - rockclimbing in winter.
Yes, I climbed outdoors last night, it was 6 degrees and windy. Honda 'jio' me out of blue to go to 内湖 to lead scary climbs. Since I had climb gear + rope here in the office, off we went.

How cold was it? I climbed with my polartec fleece on and midway through, my fingers were numb and icy! Ok ok, partly from fear! Ultra scary for me cos I haven't been climbing regularly not to mention leading!
I led the leftmost lane - the purple route. And no, I did not complete. Attempted 3x and fail just shy of the last overhang.

No comments: