Monday, March 02, 2009

good weekend

Saturday - Culture Day!
I visited first the Taiwan National History Museum where the Silk Road/Xinjiang treasures were on display. The centerpiece was the Loulan Beauty, a Tarim mummy preserved in the arid/dry conditions of the silk road sands. It was super crowded, which took a little off the enjoyment of the place, but otherwise, very good exhibits.

Next stop : CKS memorial hall where Andy Warhol - king of pop art was on display. After Xinjiang, somehow the light-weightness of pop art really sank in. But the vivid colors and the cheeriness almost outlandish styles was pretty uplifting. While it was also crowded, the real crowds were in the gift shop! There was Andy Warhol everything, from the standard mugs and tshirts to stationery, fridge magnets etc. The queue to pay snaked all the way out, seems like 50 people long. While I would've liked to get a poster or 2, the queues put me off. Perhaps another day or not all all.

Sunday - Sports Day!
Since I was still nursing an achy middle finger tendon (not sure if it's from over-climbing while in SGP or washing my electric blanket out after winter - perhaps both!), so no climbing for a little bit more...

Cycling - I finally bought a bike! I went to the Giant shop nearby chuch in Minsheng E Road. Original intent was a simple mountain bike but those cost up to 8k, and are ugly! So I got a Dahon foldie in pretty red for 12.5k. Then I cycled it home the 4k distance. It really surprised me, it's speedy and I could hit speeds of 17-20k quite effortlessly despite of its tiny wheels. The only unfortunate was I picked a really cold day - it was 16degrees and cloudy. It was a little cold for me.

Gyming - and then I hit the gym in the late evening instead of cycling my little foldie around. Just too cold today.

Guess what I'll be doing next weekend? I am diving Palau! Whale sharks, hammer-head sharks, manta rays, here I come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your little foldie is mine when i am in taipei.

Pete said...

Sounds like you are really having fun!