Thursday, December 22, 2011

Looking back on 2011

Looking back, it has not been too bad a year.  If anything, it's been quite a rollercoaster ride all year.

On the jobfront, I rested for a while, started and restarted at 2 different places.

On the friendship front, I continued to be traumatized by Moo and then later on Derek.  With both I feel I really tried - especially with Derek.  But in every relationship it has to be mutual, both have to want to fix it to work.  In Monica's case, this has sadly never been the case through the years.  But she's now  happily in a relationship and I wish her every blessing from Him. 

I'm going to just go easy from here on.  I know it sounds awful, but if you don't extend too much of yourself, there is going to be less fallout when things go awry.  If you overextend, then fall out, perhaps it might be better that you weren't even close enough to be in a position to fall out?  My new strategy.  Be cold(er).

My old friends has been great though.  Bearing through the good and bad times together.  I truly appreciate and pray for them.

On the sports front.  It was a good year where the invested time and effort paid off (unlike with human relationships).  I took part in a herculean effort of 6 events : Singapore Duathlon, OCBC cycle, Passion Run 25km, Adidas Sundown Marathon, Army Half-Marathon and the Singapore Marathon. Am pretty pleased with the timing I clocked, especially the personal-best timings in both marathons.  I made 2 dive trips : Sipadan live-on-board where we had a manta ray dive with us and a refresher dive at Palau Aur after 5 years of not being in Mersing waters.  My cycling has made great  progress too, extending to a new Cervelo carbon bike.  Alas, I also finally fell off the bike in a big way causing damage that has not yet gone away (a chin gash requiring stitches and a mouthful of fractured teeth).  Nontheless, considering the distances & places I went to M'sia and Indonesia, and the calculated probability of falling, I'm very blessed.  Through this accident, I got to see the kindness of friends, family and even strangers.

On family.  I've never been closer especially after the accident.  Mom and I are much better as long as Matty is around.  I can't ask for more.  Thanks Jesus.

My targets for 2012 :
1. Focus on work - specifically my new job.
2. Stay close to family.
3. Stop acquiring too many friends, lest life gets complicated.  Return to the loner (that I am anyways).
4. Do less events this year : perhaps these 5 Singapore Duathlon, Sundown Half-marathon, GoldCoast Marathon, Army Half Marathon, Standard Chartered Marathon.
5. Travel a little more.  First country : Taiwan.  Perhaps US next?

No comments: