Thursday, April 12, 2012

My gear shift woes

It all started when walking around with Matty in the evenings and he wanted to play with my car door handle.  I showed him how to open a car door - pull the handle, sayang!  And then I let him sit inside and play with the steering wheel.  Eventually he was able to push the hazard lights button, and then lean over to stare fascinated when the lights go on on the dashboard.  Because he's a little guy (for now), he stands on the driver seat and leans forward to reach it all : hazard lights, indicator lights, headlights.

Ok, I'm getting to my point - Toyota quality is simply crap.  Matty (all of 12kg baby) leaning on the gear shift lever can dislodge the gear shift button.  -__-

Problem starts with my reaction. Cos I am a very hands-on DIY engineer, I bought a $1 tube of super glue, stuck button cap back on, presto.  All done?  Not quite, unfortunately.  The low viscosity of that $1 super glue meant that some glue dripped off the cap, onto where it shouldn't be and then the button sticks permanently in a pressed-in position. *crap*

Then begins my wild goose chase : I visited Borneo Motors (they don't manage parallel import cars), Sin Tien Seng (both Rush and Terios share a leveraged chassis, but the gear levers are different, sigh), Autobacs (only have screwed on gear knobs) and, 2 Toyota parts stockists : Class Auto and He Xing (neither had anything compatible or usable).  Total 5 trips, no luck.

I can import the part from Japan (so expensive, I might as well fly there myself for a holiday and then bring the part home) or I buy an aftermarket gear shift knob online.  So I ordered, even had 1 nightmare when I woke up realizing the US cars are left hand drive so their gear shift knobs are for the right hand!  Gasp!  Yes, thankfully common sense prevailed.  Aftermarket gear shift knobs are universal. 

Just got it installed.  Looking good!

No comments: