Monday, April 30, 2012

Longest run this year - boy did it hurt!

I approached this run with trepidation.  First it's the longest run this year for me, and I've been battling this flu bug the last weeks...  But mileage needs to be clocked.  Brought 2 power gels along for assistance.

Alex planned the route - 2 laps of 14km along ECP.  Can return to car after 1 lap for the power gel/H2O, plenty of public toilets for water so no need to carry your own sippa = nicely planned. 

Then Peter was late, which means a later start time, we'll scorch for a little bit more.  I bet he sneezed a lot between 8-9am.  And he immediately slowed his pace to perhaps 7 / 8min per km.  So I asked Alex to run with him - limiting Alex to 14km at a slow pace to nurse his tendon injury.

Ran alone til the 20km mark, met Alex at the Fort Road end of ECP - he came back for me (awww...).  He trotted with me for 5mins then waved me on.  I thought his tendon hurt, so I left him behind to slowly walk it off.  Mistake.  Cos the last 8km was really hard.  It was by then, blazingly hot, un-sheltered from the sun, and I started to feel really dizzy to the point, I had to stop and slow walk the remaining 8km.  Staggered to car, collapsed into my boot - breathing so hard that the guy from the next car came over to see if I were ok.  I drank, texted Alex (thinking he's still walking his injury off) to meet me at the food center, changed to slippers, grabbed some cash and my H2O bottle and painfully walked towards Alex - my inner balance still buzzing away.  Found Alex some 200m away, looking very pale himself.  Sheepishly said he forgot to eat dinner/breakfast and almost fainted from low blood pressure.  Had to lie on grass to recover.   Argh... thankfully some chengtngs and lots of food was enough to revive us.  Truly an epic run - slow yet cost a heck lot of effort to finish it!

Next Sunday, repeat of this epic run.  Target to finish in 3 hours this time around.  Oh I found the cause for my dizziness : the antibiotics I'm on.  Cos the same woozy feeling overcame me in the night when I took it again.  -__-

No comments: