Wednesday, May 02, 2012

My tiring Labor day holiday

Labor day yesterday turned out to be truly laborious.  Had the free run SIS Age Group 10km run in the morning.  It was in part road, and in part through a muddy field and cos it has been raining, it was just ploughing thru ankle deep mud... argh.  And cos it's a race, you keep running, mud and all!  As I dragged my feet up yet another slope I was greeted by what appeared to be the finish?  Huh?  Alex who very gallantly ran/waited with me, went to find out why we stopped at 8.77km (thanks Runkeeper!).  Apparently the race marshals mis-directed the bulk of the runners.  We were short of an extra 1.3km loop.   The race director apologized and a re-race will be held at Macritchie soon.  Oh well, I run there anyways.

Met up with Jo and the 3 of us had ampang yongtauhoo in Sembawang.  Jo ate a lot.

Then we went to climb at Yishun.  After a 2 week hiatus from climbing, my forearms were pumped by climb 1!  I was belaying Jo and it started to rain, I looked around, saw the harbinger of rain - TP, and thought to myself, oh, no wonder it's raining. It was a short-lived rain and the climbers resumed, but Jo and I left.  Too pumped.

Next stop - the Robinsons private sale.  Thankfully I had Ian/Michy/Matty along for the fun. It was crowded to say the least.  I bought bowls, plates, forks/spoons, some bath towels & a $2.4k Simmons mattress.  Shopping for mattresses was a hilarious affair.  Matty loves to roll around on beds.  He just does!  So we'd be testing a mattress and there'll be a baby sprawled & rolling all over it as well.  Decided on the Simmons eventually over the King Koil even though the King Koil felt absolutely decadent - flop on it and sink in a few cms!  I was thinking a little firmer might be better for my aging spine.  By this time, Matty has rolled onto quite a few other mattresses, drooled on every one of them - we constantly need to watch the little guy.   Michelle was quick to discreetly flip the pillows with drool over to hide the wet marks. Ah, mothers.

This sale (up to 40%) was good, but the maddening crowds was hard, had a headache by the time we left.  In any case, I'll slowly acquire everything I need for the house so I can enjoy the process.  There's the Great Singapore Sale (GSS) still to come, so I should be able to get good bargains later.

No comments: