Monday, May 28, 2012

Sundown Marathon

On the aftermath of a lingering flu, crashing my car into a wall, running around getting car fixed and checking out furniture/electronics plus a kiddy party lunch on Saturday... I certainly didn't feel in good shape mentally.  I didn't set myself any targets, since I still had my heart on the Gold Coast marathon in July.

Thankfully, Peter had offered to drive this time and we went early found free parking space, rested at the lobby of the Park Royal hotel until Alex, Francis and a friend of Peter's showed up, then walked casually to the start line.

Francis insisted on a slower pen, so the 4 of us started at the 2:30 after wishing Alex good luck and to be careful.  

This is how it felt : I ran fast first 10k then fought the pain as I slowed down for the second 10k.  In reality, it was pretty much even for both splits.  Surprising.

I'm working on 2 things on my run
1.  my running gait - the physiotherapist said I wasn't utilizing my butt muscles when I run.  That my stride is incomplete, it doesn't extend to the butt muscles. 
2. learn to drink on the go with sputtering... Right now, I just stand there and drink 2 cups each time. 

I am grateful to the good Lord that
- got the Asics deal.  The Sky Speed 2 is lighter and flat - so it encourages mid-foot landings more than the typical heel to ball rolling pattern.
- the downpour only started after I finished the run.  The winds really picked up during the rain - had to run/walk back to the car.  We were soaked to the skin and blasted by the winds!  I was so cold, we switched the heater on in the car (I'm serious!). 

No comments: