Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Updates on the house

The big things are more or less settled.  Just a few outstanding big ones like
- shower fixtures.  The existing ones are a little grimy but they are Grohe branded.  I am reluctant to downgrade yet to replace with new Grohe would cost me an arm and a leg.  How fussy am I about this?  I can't decide. 
- colors for my walls (got a general idea, but unsure). 
- study room's writing desk and book shelf.  After talking to Michy over lunch just now, I think I will go see Ikea again, if I can tolerate their poor quality.  I do not want shelves that will sag in 2 years (esp when the shelf cost but $79).

Thus far the whole journey has been pretty pleasant.  I have been very blessed with a lot of help from Ian/Michy/Matty.  Best example was Michy and I drawing on a page of Sunday Times a few days ago, (I was reading the paper midway).  We drew out where to place my LED lights in the ceiling, argued, dragged Ian out of his bedroom as another opinion and he had genuine alarm on his face to discover our discussions are drawn all over page 7 of Sunday Times. 

Jo took me on toilet bowl 101 - warning me of pitfalls and even drawing out the dimensions of everything. 

Peter offered to help me spray paint my bike rack/clock, after he heard I was going to DIY.   Clearly had no faith in my DIY skills - probably rightly so.  I only just passed both items over to him last night and he's already done 1 coat on my bike rack - awesome job too. 

Francis came by and took my fingerboard down and he will later on remount it up on my new place.  This is after I had a go at it and found the screws impossibly tight.  He did it effortlessly, apparently you need to hold the board at an angle and keep shifting as you unscrew to regain traction.

No comments: