Monday, December 03, 2012

Standard Chartered Marathon 2012

I started out without much confidence, especially since my left calf was hurting (now I know it's a shin splint - due to excessive racing says physiotherapist).  But as the race progressed, I could tolerate the pain and ran quite smoothly.  At 30km, it was an easy 3:11 for me.  For a while there, I imagined I might score another PB.

Then the left calf gave way, and starting from calves, to knees, to hamstrings, to thigh muscles, every one started to cramp.  For the first time in all the years I have been racing, I stop to accept muscle rub, three times during the race.  Twice, I pulled down my calf guards to slather on the cream in a valiant attempt to sooth the pain.  And I gel myself to puke-dom, I consumed 10 gels this race!  Sam the Canadian, looked at me with horror and asked me how I kept it all down.  I don't know Sam, I was too consumed with pain from the 31km to the finish line!

So yes, the race was lost at the 30km mark.  First the pink-ballooned 4:30 pacers sailed by me, I tried to, but failed to keep pace.  By the 33km mark, I was reduced to brisk walking.  By the 40km mark, the 4:45 pacers ran by, all I could do was stare and keep walking.

In the end, I did enough to equal last year's timing of 4:47.

I went to the agreed meeting spot of the war memorial after the run.  Sat on floor and couldn't/didn't get up until Sam came over.  And then miraculously, Zilsons came by to drive me to a steak lunch and home.  I am so blessed.  A had left earlier as he hurt his knee again - but of cos he chased a 4:11 timing incensed by being forced into the over 5hours start pen.  HY, SS bettered their last year's timing and Peter completed his first ever marathon in a grueling 7:14 battle.  The first marathon is never easy.

Glad we all overcame our pain/ghosts.  Until next year, Stanchart...


My prep kit - 2 days before!  Talk about being well-prepared.  See my knee tapes all neatly cut and ready? 


No comments: