Friday, October 23, 2009

Inside Steve's Brain

Written by the Wired's editor, it gives a pretty good account of Steve Jobs and Apple. Being in a product development team, it often hits me how different the Apple world is from our Wintel world (Windows and Intel stranglehold on the PC world).

Like this week, we quibbled over a plastic box to hold a stylus pen - how can we further cost down to save us a dollar at risk of looking er.. cheap. Fortunately, the marketing product manager, me, remembered the book I've been reading and so put my foot firmly down. No cheap look, no cost down. We'll take the $ hit. Sigh...

Stark different worlds. Of course our profit margins are also starkly different. We ship millions of notebooks versus iBooks, but their profit margins are also many times what we make.

Enough intelligent reading... my next book is on rockclimbing. Hee hee.. I only really have 2 loves in life - the catholic church and rockclimbing.

2 comments:

francis said...

Ha... what about me ?! i mean us ?!! Your friends you left behind in s'pore.... err...well i guess i have answered my query );

Felicia said...

Of cos friends are important... especially friends who can belay ;)