Monday, March 29, 2010

St Rita of Cascia

As part of my lenten preparation, I attend mass/stations of the cross Friday nights.

The good folks at St Bosco are screening movies on the life of the saints after stations of the cross. I got to learn about St Rita. She lies incorrupt, ie her body is still intact and on on display in a glass case in the Basilica of St. Rita in Cascia, Italy even though she died in 1457.

By today's standards, the movie moves at a slow pace and has a lot of war/killing scenes/death scenes. There were many times I wanted to just go home :)

Why am I talking about St Rita in my blog? Because
- she persisted in an atmosphere of violence/warring. Her husband was a knight, ie he went around killing people.
- she used love to win people around her back to God.
- she never gave up, even in the face of impossible circumstances
- she trusted God and stayed in constant communication, ie she kept praying.

Alamak, sounds like what my mom always says to me, you must pray you know, prayers are very important...

No comments: