Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The latest thing in Singapore - durian home parties

Here's how it works.

No. 1 and most key - you have a contact that knows someone who owns a durian farm in Malaysia growing 猫山王durians no less.  You place your order - in denominations of a basket of the obnoxious smelling fruit.  You can share with a buddy, go half basket each.

The durian seller trucks your order into Singapore.

You meet durian seller somewhere along Bukit Panjang road - it does sound all very clandestine doesn't it?  You put your durians into your car boot.

You drive home to eagerly awaiting family/friends.  You gorge.  For the next few days, you worry about how to get the stink of stale durian off your fingers; out of your system when you burp.

Begs the question - why this fixation with 猫山王durians?  I understand when Singapore loved the D11, D22 durians, those were based on a species breed no. .Is there a 猫山?  Or is it also a species name? 

I guess I will never know since I don't care much for durians.  I did however, partake in 1 such party when my cousin invited me.  And I've just text-ed her asking her for another shot of it cos my mom's going into durian withdrawal mode again.  And the clandestine operation begins again with durian guy getting my order....

No comments: