Sunday, August 12, 2007

Language Gaffe

I like to think I am managing well. Thus far, except from not being able to distinguish North, South, East, West in Chinese - I've been understood - well most of the time.

Except when I wanted to go to Carrefore in Neihu. That's where all the hypermarts are, Costco, Carrefore, RT, 3C. Needed to buy vacuum cleaner and other electrical applicances (couldn't buy in SGP due to different power voltage, Taiwan is 110v).

My conversation with taxi driver.
Me - pls go to Neihu, I want to go to Carrefore, Kang Le Fu.
Taxi driver - ??
Me - Kang Le Fu? Buy lotsa stuff? (Hypermart mah)
Taxi driver - ?? then starts digging in his pants
Me start gettting nervous, what the @#$ is he digging in his pants for...
Taxi driver producing a Carrefore key chain - you mean Jia Le Fu?

Carrefore is 家乐福, Jia Le Fu. Kapish?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. oh mannn... i can:t believe i wasn:t dere to laff at u...

zi

Felicia said...

u would so embarass me...