Friday, August 17, 2007

Super Typhoon Sepat

This is typhoon no. 3 since I got here. First 2 were small ones affected south of Taipei, 台中/台南.

Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau issued both land and sea warnings for Typhoon Sepat yesterday - calling it a Category 4 typhoon or a super typhoon. Sepat packs winds up to 234kph, with a radius of 250km - will engulf the whole of Taiwan when it hits us as we sleep Friday night and into Saturday.

The typhoon warnings began Thu, being the kiasu Singaporean and 1st timer with typhoons, I went to my new place and closed all the windows I had opened for ventilation. Then went home to Agora for the gym, skipping my initial plans to go rockclimb at the Y17. Then I saw on TV, folks in Taipei were still out partying - peek out of the window confirms it (the Agora is next to the Taipei 101). Chey! Just ignoring the rain and thunder display.

This morning (Friday) boss came by to check on me - told me to stock up on food for the wknd. Guess she didn't want her newest and stupidest member of her team to be casualty no. 1 to 1st serious typhoon of the year. Awww.. isn't she sweet?

And Ashley just congratulated me this morning saying "a typhoon is popping by to say hello.."
So anyhow, my boss popped by at 3pm and told me to go home, so I did, took a nap - ain't that grand?

Went for a walk & dinner with Sam - he wanted me to see his new apartment in Keelung, altho he hasn't picked up his keys yet.

It was dry - no rain, no wind yet but the new typhoon is serious and Taipei are taking the warnings seriously. Windows, doors are tapped and sandbagged. As mentioned on TV, either tape your glass with a mi (米) or cha (X) pattern. Which I didn't quite understand until I saw - refer to photo, the movie adverts are mi and the doors are cha.
Video taken from my balcony. I risked arm & leg, hey this typhoon ripped billboards, trees off, throwing stuff at people all night. Ok, ok, so I got my arm, camera and a little of my face wet from the swirly rain. Dedicated to Derek.

No comments: