Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dream fulfilled - bagging tallest peaks of Taiwan

2 dreams carried over from last year - (1) visit 蘭嶼 Orchid Island, off Taitung & (2) climb 玉山Jade Mountain.

Last weekend, I visited Orchid Island. And now dream no. 2 fulfilled.

Almost didn't get to do this, a typhoon had blown in and Fri, the day before we were to leave, it was officially off - Jade Mountain national park was closed. I had dinner with my colleagues Friday night & ironically in the taxi going home after dinner, Emily pointed out the taxi driver's name - it was 王玉山or King Jade Mountain. Hmm...

9am on Sat morning, Honda called me to tell to get my stuff, the park's open and the trip's back on! Without applying leave (no time), I only had time to drop by the drugstore to get some anti-mountain sickness pills, and presto, we're off.

Sat it was road trip all the way to Nantou, and we stayed at the base lodge. I went right to bed, no shower. Sun morning, we rose early and started the long 5 hour walk up to the high camp 排雲山莊. Mon 2.30am we made our summit bid, first the main peak, then the eastern peak. By Mon 2.15pm, I was back at the base lodge where our bus was waiting.

I'm really thrilled that I got to summit Jade Mountain - in the process bagging the 2 tallest peaks in Northeast Asia, the main peak (3952m) and east peak (3940m). Taiwan being so mountainous, lists its 100 best peaks as 百岳.

My pix - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8062670@N07/sets/72157621764305588/

Now here's the funny part to the hike. I'm actually the youngest member of the team. Amazingly everyone else is in their 50s, 60s. Heck, Sandie who's perhaps 50+, brought her brother, now he's 70. And at every rest stop, they wait for... ME. Yes! Taiwanese people are really strong! A common refrain when I show up at each rest spot is, oh she's here, followed by, oh she's now lying flat again (她又躺平了). I was soooo beat.

My legs were so sore, 1st morning back, I contemplated jumping down my spilt level studio because my 39-yr-old legs are absolutely jello.

Last night no. 18 from 宫廷Massage just outside of Tunghua night market did her magic. I highly recommend this place if you need an excellent massage in Taipei. :)

Thank you God for dreams fulfilled.

No comments: