Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Solar eclipse - and I saw it!

I've never actually seen one nor cared very much. But this time it's most visible in North Asia - hey, I'm in Taiwan.

I couldn't sleep last night, eventually falling asleep at 4.30am. Slept badly and woke up at 8.30am only because there's an AMD meeting at 10am.

It appeared dark as I was leaving the house, so I grabbed an umbrella - thinking it's rain. I stopped for a latte at Ikari as usual, then decided to walk to work since it was kinda cloudy. Cloudy is wrong - I remembered the eclipse only when people were staring at the sun and pointing...

Tried to snap a pix of the sun with my cellphone - no luck. Staring at it hurts the eyes. So my office is truly geek-dom. I walked in and say, hey guys, eclipse outside. They coolly tell me to go the pantry where there're filters to see the full eclipse.
Picture taken by a colleague from our pantry window.

And tadah - the whole annular solar eclipse. Just a cresent light ring around the darkened sun at 9.50am. Truly amazing. God is great! What a spectacular sight!

No comments: