Monday, July 27, 2009

Lesson 101 - do pharmacies exist in Taipei?

Because there's a lot of Chinese medicine/Chinese medicine clinics/Chinese medicine pharmacies, feels like 90% of all medical related clinics are Chinese medicine, not the normal western doctors.

I had somehow assumed there are no regular pharmacies in Taipei. I know it doesn't sound logical, somehow...

I've been getting my stash of the usual stuff like sinus pills or motion sickness pills every trip back to Singapore.

Until last week.. I was due to climb Jade Mountain and needed to find a pharmacy to sell my Diamox or any anti-AMS (acute mountain sickness). My last trip up a big mountain many years ago, I fell quite tragically sick with AMS.

I trotted into Watsons since they had a pharmacy counter. They said I had to go to a 藥局. So I went back to work the next day and innocently asked Rae 'what's a 藥局?' She said it's everywhere, and that there must be a few nearby my place. So I took a walk and yeah, found 2 near my place. Got my anti AMS pills, climbed my big mountain successfully.

Here's 2 popular franchise pharmacies, you should be able to find one nearby your home. Yes Pharmacy is the one right by my place. Phamacists here are pretty helpful and yes they do carry the brandname drugs I wanted specifically.

Yes Pharmacy 躍獅連鎖藥局
TingTing Pharmacy 丁丁連鎖藥局

I even made a 2nd trip back to the pharmacy to get some rash cream - yeah, still suffering from eczema.

So guess what, pharmacies do exist in Taipei.

And yes, you're right, I do need to improve my Chinese....

No comments: