Thursday, August 02, 2012

When's a cabinet door not a door? When it's a drawer!

My contractor Ah Peng is nice enough, very down to earth and realistic.  That's why I picked him.  The problem is the carpenter he partners with. Ah Chuan the carpenter was a little too smooth for my liking.  Then he said his wife has health problems and is undergoing dialysis, I felt for him and didn't bargain him down when he quoted me his price.  But I impressed upon him that I wanted the finish to be good, that I am fussy.

On Tue night I went over late at night to check on progress.  I was hungry/tired after finally making the last of my big ticket purchases (writing desk/book shelf for the study room) and got most upset. 

Shoe cabinet - door opens the wrong way, against the direction of the door.  Unacceptably awkward.
Overhead cabinet over my fridge & washing machine - corner chipped off.  Apparently he dropped it in transit. -__-  Unbelievable.
TV console - has humongous drawers.  I wanted doors!  Who has humongous hideous drawers the size of Stonehenge!
My wardrope drawers has openings sliver thin, you need to have stick fingers to open them.  Who do I look like, Gretel from Hansel and Gretel?
Shelf over washing machine for doing laundry is positioned at my nose level.  What, now I pick up stilt walking so I can do laundry?

Overall finish was awful, sharp corners, gaps, unevenness, cracked edges, bad workmenship in short. 

Funnily enough carpenter guys behave exactly like those ad agency guys I used to work with.  So eager to show you what they created/made but then it isn't what you wanted at all!

No comments: