Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What do you think about during long runs?

A US friend of mine thinks of business ideas as he jogs.  He is currently incubating a start-up from one of his ideas and I wish him every success!

I have always found long runs very cathartic.  Over the years of solo long runs and hence long hours of thinking : 
- I've changed cars (2005) from my Toyota to Nissan Sunny
- decided to end a friendship with a person who was a leech (2005 and amazingly, I forgave/forgot and re-learnt this lesson in 2010).  Guess it is true : a leopard never changes its spots. 
- psyched myself through the most difficult years of my life (2005-2006)
- talked myself through job changes, work problems, emotional problems...
- admired and loved Taiwan during my jogs in very different scenic conditions there

So yesterday when a friend asked me what goes through my head during the long runs, I had no answer for once!  

Ironically 2012, I clocked a record number of hours in terms of training/racing mileage, yet most of it are not solo runs.  I have been blessed with running kakis (in plural). We LSD together, go to races together.  It's been a little support group that I truly appreciate.

These days, I chit chat or listen to music over the runs.  No real  logical thinking happens anymore.  

Is this a good or bad thing?  Good, I would say.

No comments: