Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I regret

It's Jan 22 and already I caught myself meddling in other people's affair - something I said I would not do ever again.

We all thought V was not going to be strong enough for the upcoming North Face City Run on 3 March.  But since the event isn't for a few more weeks, no one did anything about it until a friend came to me and told me that perhaps asking V to withdraw might be a good idea - her exact words were, "kick Vivi out of the team".

So I did.  I spoke to V and she withdrew to "not let the team down" - which was a sweet gesture but did she do so out of peer pressure or health concerns?

Next I approached A - whom I met at last year's North Face 50km and MR25 50km.  She accepted as part of her training for some HK 50km trail later in March.  We have a strong replacement now.

The whole process took a day's worth of text messages/emails traded over Whatsapp/Facebook and concluded with an email from the North Face organizers confirming the change is made along with a credit card charge of $20 admin fee.

Thank you Fel for meddling, you are rewarded with pissed-off people and $20 deficit.

Yeah, I regret the whole matter, that I did precisely the things I hate - meddled, interfered and worse, judged V as not strong enough - what if she really needed this run to gain some momentum in her comeback plans?

Ok moving forward, no more team events and no more being Ms Smarty Pants. Everyone's an adult, I will take you at face value.

No comments: