Sunday, March 06, 2011

OCBC Cycle 2011 - the night after

I should've taken the cue when Derek gestured at some clearly neophyte cyclists & said "beware these kinds".

Spent the 40km race, zig-zagging, yelling communications warnings "on your right, RIGHT!!!", a whole lot of start/stops - including a total standstill for an ambulance to get in. Saw quite a few spills this race - my guess caused by those weaving neophyte cyclists doing 10km/hr.

The last 10km became easier, smoother most likely because I had cleared most of those weaving, right lane hogging lousy cyclists doing 10km/hr. Of cos by then I started to tire a little valiantly attempting to hold 30km/hr speeds...

In the past, before a triathlon, I used to strip out every extra component on the bike that added weight - bags, lights, everything off.  Speed was everything.  Old habits die hard, I stripped my bag but kept my lights on for safety while cycling to/from event.  Now on hindsight, I should've just kept everything on - OCBC did not feel like a race at all!

My first ever cycling medal (single discipline ie)...














Oh and parking was a royal pain! Arranged with Derek to meet in front of Singapore Swimming Club but due to road blocks, he wasn't able to get there & parked elsewhere. My woes began trying to get to his new venue, plus my unfamiliarity with that area. Got lost again for almost an hour attempting to return to the car. Mental note to self - park in an area you are familiar with.

Nontheless a nice morning out cycling. And I pray that those hurt in the spills are ok - ambulance got in & out real quick.

4 comments:

Felicia said...

Results are out!
I am no. 54 in my age category / overall no. 2282.
With a time of 1:27:21.5.

Not too bad considering I spent more effort trying not to get killed out there rather than cycling my lungs out.

Felicia said...

Hussein from Rodalink who sold me my Speedy, was aiming for top 5, he placed 17. I asked him why - he humbly said he wasn't fit enough but also he narrowly missed crashing (quite a few went down).

Wonder how many accidents altogether. Must be quite a few on Sunday itself.
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Sports/Story/A1Story20110307-266818.html

yanmaneee said...

adidas gazelle
goyard bags
goyard bags
yeezy shoes
adidas tubular
goyard handbags
timberland outlet
golden goose
yeezys
kobe byrant shoes

sateen sheet set said...

In the past, before a triathlon, I used to strip out every extra component on the bike that added weight - bags, lights, everything off. Speed was everything. Old habits die hard, I stripped my bag but kept my lights on for safety while cycling to/from event. Now on hindsight, I should've just kept everything on - OCBC did not feel like a race at all!
cheap king comforter sets ,
blue king size comforter set ,