Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Ankle strain

Almost twisted right ankle - managed to recover quickly, but damage done.  Now I am nursing a high ankle strain on the right side and the Army Half Marathon is this Sunday.  Not good timing.  Guess I will employ the good ole "tape and go" strategy which worked very well for me for years until the embarrassing "tendinitis episode".  There goes my hope of dipping below 2 hours for a half marathon.

Had another physiotherapy session this morning and my physiotherapist discovered why my shoulders ache so much.  I don't hold myself upright especially the right shoulder so the muscles there are quite knotted up (she was pressing my right pec muscles and oh does it hurt...).  So she showed me how (standing in front of a mirror), when I breath in deeply, my right side chest cavity does not expand fully.  You mean, all this time I have been relying on 1 lung to breath?!  Unbelievable.  She pronounced that I have non-existent butt muscles (I don't use my butts to run) & my arms are weak.  What?  I was miffed, complained to her, "eh, I rockclimb for 12 years leh!". And she says, yes, but you don't use shoulders, I can prove it...   Apparently I use the upper shoulder muscles & pecs, but skip the core muscles (lower shoulders).

New mantra when I run, "butts, shoulders up, butts, shoulders up...".  In the meantime, I am lame.  Ow ow ow...



No comments: