Monday, September 03, 2012

OMG - my mother is driving me nuts

Sunday - as usual, woke up early for morning LSD, then we went for lunch at Balestier market (yum yum, bought some chwee kueh for afternoon tea), before collecting our race kits for the Army Half marathon next weekend.

After that, I vacuumed, moped and tidied up the house as I invited mom to come over.  As backup against unpleasantries, I asked IMM to come to add some love/positive energy.

At 4:55, I drove out to Kembagnan MRT station and she was not there.  I called her and she said she couldn't find me and so went back into the station as I might be inside the station with my car.  Irrational warning no. 1.

She came bearing plastic bags and her usual bag plus her handbag.  When we stepped into the house, she wanted to put everything on the dining table.  I said, 'can you put on the floor'.  Her response was a shock : she FLUNG everything against the wall in anger.  I used a normal tone, I wasn't even angry, I just didn't want her dirty bag and handbag and plastic bags on the dining table.  WTF.  Irrational warning no. 2.

In my heart, I started to pray for peace.  I asked her if she wanted to see the house still or what.  She stood there seething, then she walked grudgingly to view.  I showed her the study and my bedroom and she stood from the hallway, peered in and nodded in total disinterest - without even stepping into either room!  Then she plonked herself down on the sofa.

Ignoring her bad-temperedness, I asked if she wanted to eat the chwee kueh I bought.  She snapped back, no!  I went ahead and took bowls out, take the chwee kueh out. She came over to eat.  Then she opened her plastic bags and produced a box of durians and started to eat.  I wanted to say, 'wait for Ian/Michelle to arrive to eat the durian together', but then thought I should not antagonize her further.  So I bit my tongue, eat chwee kueh.  Irrational warning no. 3 (strange behaviour).

Finally, IMM arrives.  And Matty in his usual style, made us all laugh and smile immediately.

I wonder if she's going insane - http://www.agingcare.com/Articles/bad-behavior-by-elderly-parents-138673.htm, or am I instead?

Oh I almost forgot.  Her housewarming gift to me?  She gave me the water utility bill.  -__-

On hindsight, I realize her behaviour is neither that of a concerned family member (look out for me and suggest improvements - this is the behaviour most of my friends/family members have adopted) nor that of a proud parent (be happy for me/pleased that her daughter has an apartment), instead she chose to adopt a petulant childish "why bother when I am not part of this" attitude.  I am disturbed and disappointed.

No comments: