Thursday, November 15, 2012

An old friends gathering

Met up with old friends from school last night.  I have not seen these girls since 1994!  Everyone is now a mother of at least 1 kid.  Sigh... Yet it feels like no one has aged to me cos I recognized them all at first glance.  Until we pulled out old photos and couldn't recognize each other in it.  Haha..

It all started last week when I got a call out of the blue.  Jane is an insurance agent and I bought my first policy in support of her right out of school.  When my cousin (who now manages my insurance policies) updated my new home address and phone no, Jane noticed and called me.  Everyone now lives in the east coast area and so we met in a restaurant in Siglap - lucky me!

It struck me that our lives are so different.  The dinner conversation was a little reminiscing, and a lot of topics totally irrelevant to me : PSLE and the education system today, the maids levy situation, costs of bringing up children, property prices, mother in law problems... Yes, they are all stay at home moms or they work part-time.  I know, sob! they achieved 太太-dom and I am so envious!

It was boringly pleasant.  Although, they remembered my birthday and we shared a slice of cheese cake with a loud birthday song - to my embarrassment.

The only time my blood pressure rose was when someone started complaining about teachers.  Singaporeans, for the last time : teachers teach academic subjects, parent impacts values.  If you delegate values and character building to the teacher and your child goes astray, whose fault is it?

And after a while, everyone jumped into their Lexus, Audis, or waited for their hubbies to pick them up in their poshy cars.  The evening ends and I return home feeling, what a banal night!

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Just got a text update : next gathering, will be steamboat since that's healthier. I was thinking, next gathering?!