Monday, November 26, 2012

Brooks Run - 9km

An nice evening race at the Marina Barrage with my usual run kakis - Peter and Alex.

Alex had hurt his knee at last week's trail run with IMD so he was going to just run slowly with us.  When Peter shot off like a jack rabbit at the start line, Alex followed me instead.  Great.  He tried to pace me to drag me up to a faster comfortable pace.  I almost fainted.  I can manage a 5:40 - 5:50 pace, but anything faster is unsustainable.  So I would strain then falter, surge then drop between 5:15 to 5:50 most of the way unless it's too dark to see anything.

We finished in 52mins.  Went straight to Big John who's managing the post-run rub downs and he got us a masseur without queuing.  I like!  Peter appeared shortly, he managed a 1:02mins (controlled his pace after the initial bit, so it was a good time).   We got our rub downs, thanked John.  Then we descended on Geylang like some hungry dogs.  First we wolved down 3 bowls of 手工面 - heavenly!  Then some 油条with 豆花 before we gave up.  If a particular friend is around, bet we'll go for third round of hokkien noodles.

And to think while standing at the starting lineup, we were complaining how we lacked a life, it's a beautiful Saturday night and we chose to spend it sweating with 4000 other sorry, sweaty and smelly people, running in the dark, at a very nice scenic place.

Alex is right.  I doubt I can run a good timing at the upcoming marathon.  My buildup this year is not enough compared to last year this time.  I will be lucky with a sub 5hr.  So that's my revised goal.  Sigh.


No comments: