Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My third half marathon this year

First 2 half marathons this year were the Adidas Sundown and the Safra army half.  I clocked 2:08 in both.

When Linny offered me her slot at the GE women's run, I was quite happy about it.  It's a chance to try for a sub-2hour half marathon and also my first time at an all women race.

At the start line, they ordered "all men to please leave the route now".  Interesting!  All women races was really nice.  No armpit smell, no jostling and lots of free space to run.

At the 11km mark, I peered at my watch and it read 1:03.  A little slower than I was hoping.  I had to run a severely negative split to succeed now.  At the 14km mark, Simon and Peter popped out unexpectedly and jumped in to run alongside me.  Well, at least Simon did.  Peter happily sprinted ahead thrilled with all the women runners (still has not figured out how to pace).  Simon would pass me his drink bottle every couple of minutes, I could see envious looks from the other women.  Haha...  At the Barrage, they peeled off with a loud "good luck!".

I made my move then.  Upped the pace but there were a few small slopes and blah blah blah... excuses..my second 11km took me 1:00.  Not good enough.

Ah well, next year's goal.



No comments: