Monday, June 11, 2012

In search of the perfect running gait

Ironically, I'm blogging with a backache from yesterday's long run - as with every run longer than 10km.

Had my second session with my physiotherapist and I came in running attire.  She video-ed my run and proclaims my gait ok although I slant slightly to the right side hence the ache.  Also, it shows clearly that I am a heel striker, not forefoot - I thought I was midfoot striker the whole time!

I practised forefoot running with her on the treadmill - this certainly needs work.  I wondered about changing my gait for the Gold Coast mara, but changed my mind after reading this :
http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html

Notably this line from that study : if there is one thing you change in your running, don't focus on your footstrike, but rather on WHERE your feet land relative to your body.  



I'll keep working on utilizing more of my butt muscles for a more complete stride for now.  But won't risk injury changing my foot strike position.  Besides, I just want to be able to enjoy my first overseas marathon on the Gold Coast and catch up with Chris Bennetts after the run!

No comments: