Monday, May 30, 2011

Culmination of a 16 week plan

What a race!  I loved it!  Best part is I know feel 42km is not all that unattainable!

I ran the first 21km, conservatively and slowly.  Even took a pee-break. Quick glance at watch and was shocked to see 2:54.  Super slow!  At the 23km mark, a woman made a break for it, took the opportunity to follow her as she surged ahead and settled into a nice rthym.  Alas she faltered by the 25km.  Persisted alone, propeled by (by now) 2 packets of Power gel and my Ipod.  Into the dark, I ran.

At the 32km mark, I expected to hit the wall.  Funnily enough that moment never came.  I downed my 3rd & last pack of Power gel and then the caffein buzz hit me... A very strange (and I must say, not unpleasant) sensation.  The training plan really worked, every part of me felt strong.  Mentally I was confident of finishing well.  In fact, I had my own shadow - another woman following my pace.  Lost her when I stopped at the last drink stop 2km from the finish.

The one downside is my ITBs.  5km mark, left ITB throbbed, by the 10km mark, both ITBs were throbbing.  I feared running too hard, if ITBs went, I'll be reduced to walking.  Funnily enough, every time I felt a sharp painful ITB twitch, I'd either stop for a quick stretch or just reach down, hold the legs and pray over them!  Prayers obviously worked, ITBs held for the whole race! 

I finished at 5:23, running the second 21km 2:29. 

A couple of thoughts - IF I had ran the first half less conservative, skipped the pee-break, if ITBs were fine, if the race path was more well-lit... Well, but then it wouldn't have been as much fun if I had to push for timing.  So seriously, all went well and I am pleased.

Race organizers were by & large good.  The entire road was blocked off for us, so plenty of space.  Drink stations (save the first few) were sufficiently manned.  The whole carnival atmosphere at the Changi Exhibition Center was good.  And the best part, extensive post race bus service.  I happily hopped onto an AC bus which took me home to Buona Vista MRT for $8.  Good job Sundown organizers!  One more plus - results are already up on their website!   Just 1 complaint : obscure race location, lack of parking & the entire road into the starting point was jammed up.  I must've sat in the taxi in bumper-to-bumper traffic for half an hour.
I'm not sure I will run next year's Sundown but I'm not going to say no to the concept of another full marathon :) Never say never!

Next challenge : 4 Sep : SAFRA Army Half-Marathon/ Bay Run.

No comments: