Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What is mercy?

Perhaps Thu or Fri, I was at midday mass and thinking of human relationships and it struck me that if my God can be merciful enough to die for me while I am a sinner, why can't I forgive someone like Monica? 

The test came today.

At the wall today, Derek walked by and wanted to take a group photo, muttering how we have many group photos while cycling but none while climbing.  He managed to gather 4-5 people, who all walked over, just as Yili & I were exchanging climbing calls & I placed a foot up on the blue route.  I told Derek to proceed without me.  I really wanted to do that blue route well today.  Then I heard Monica cheerfully sing about how the group shot can be taken angled upwards so that it includes me... She went on and on, as if she's so popular and wanted me in the photo, like we're BFF or something.  Pffft.

I still recall the horror of her wheels bearing down on my head from last week.  Or the too many times when she walked past me, only to turn her face. 

To rub injury to insult, Derek proceeds to use Monica's phone after they did the group shot, to video me climbing that blue route.

Derek then nonchalantly walks over to show me his video skills.  Good thing I noticed it was Monica's phone and insisted he deleted it.

I know Derek's just insensitive - I don't blame him.  I also know Monica will never change nor ever feel bad or even reflect over the past.  And I ought to show mercy - my Lord taught me so.  But I tell you, it is easier said than done. 

The whole gang went to grab a bite after the climb.  I chose to stay on, do a warm-down climb with Gabriel, take my time to shower and then drove over to Ian's for dinner.  As usual, seeing Matty has a way of making you feel better.  He is all innocence.

No comments: