Monday, May 02, 2011

Cycling - I am starting to really like this

I decided to chicken out of the 100km in a day (to and back from Desaru) cos my legs are really sore from excessive running.  Plus Lemna needed someone to accompany her & I'm not confident of going fast enough to keep up with the guys, so it made perfect sense for me to cover sweeper duties.

Thankfully, Peter was kind enough to stop and wait with us.  Without time pressure on us, we could choose to wait out the driving rain which lasted almost 45mins.  Cycled comfortably to Sungei Ringit, ate 1 chendol, before deciding we'll cycle in the direction of Desaru, and turn around when we meet the others on their return from Desaru.  By which time, the rain had stopped, the cloud cover evaporated and back came the blazing sun.  Peter and I maintained 20km/hr, but then slowed to 18km/hr for Lemna.  Even so, we had to stop often to wait for her to close the gap between us.  Yeah, she must've been doing 14km/hr or so.  We joked how if we slow anymore, we'll fall over in our cleats.  But yeah, nice and easy pace.

At the 33km mark, we saw Grayson flying away, leaning on his tri-bars.  So we all u-turned.  Went for perhaps 200m before another pit stop cos Grayson needed a chendol from a street side vendor.  By which time the whole group caught up, ate our desserts, filled up our drink bottles, took our group photos and all was jolly again. 

Lunch of lobsters and crab was fantastic - beyond words.  Then finally the whole group cycled back slowly, perhaps averaging 22km/hr back to the jetty.  The guys took turns to accompany Lemna, so I cycled back with my buddies : Zi & Peter in our usual laugh and talk cycling style.

It was a nice ride.  66km at a relaxed pace really feels like nothing at all.  Really enjoyed this trip.  I hope the active recovery also removed most of the lactic acid from my sore leg muscles.

No comments: